Swearing-In Ceremony at Rideau Hall on November 4, 2015
His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, will preside over the swearing-in ceremony of Prime Minister‑designate Justin Trudeau, Canada’s 23rd prime minister, and members of the 29th Canadian ministry. The event will take place in the Rideau Hall Ballroom on Wednesday, November 4, 2015, at 10:30 a.m.
Note: The following web browsers are supported by the video player: Internet Explorer 11, Firefox, Chrome and Safari. If you are experiencing technical difficulties with video playback, you can view the feed on the websites of major news outlets.
Timings of the day
- 9 a.m. – Arrival of members of the public on the grounds of Rideau Hall via Thomas and Mackay pedestrian gates.
- 9:45‑10 a.m. – Arrival on foot of Prime Minister-designate Justin Trudeau and the ministers-designate via the main drive.
- 10:30 a.m. – The swearing-in ceremony begins (see below Sequence of Events and infographic for details).
- 12:20 p.m. – The Prime Minister, in the presence of his Cabinet, will deliver a statement in front of the Rideau Hall façade, at the fountain.
Where to watch
The ceremony will be broadcast live on all major Canadian TV networks and there will be a live webcast on this page starting at 10:30 EST.
Members of the public are invited to be on the grounds of Rideau Hall as of 9 a.m. on the day of the ceremony to witness the arrival of the Prime Minister‑designate and members of the ministry.
Public access via Thomas or Mackay pedestrian Gates. Members of the public must be in the designated area no later than 9:30 a.m.
Visitors waiting outdoors will be able to watch the ceremony on two screens located on the grounds.
This event will take place rain or shine and is expected to end at around 1 p.m. All visitors should dress appropriately and wear comfortable shoes as they may need to stand on the grass or on uneven ground.
For security reasons, we would ask that you refrain from bringing signs or large bags.
No parking on site.
We recommend you walk, bike, take a bus or a taxi, get dropped off or park on the neighbouring streets.
Persons with mobility restrictions are asked to call 1-866-842-4422 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The event is open to the media.
Download the map (PDF).
Sequence of Events of the Swearing-In Ceremony
When a new government is formed, the governor general presides over the swearing-in of the prime minister of Canada and members of his Ministry during a ceremony in the Ballroom at Rideau Hall. Here is background information related to the ceremony.
- Swearing-In of a New Ministry (HTML | PDF | Infographic)
- Swearing-In of Privy Councillors (HTML | PDF)
- Official Oaths (HTML | PDF | Infographic)
- Great Seal of Canada (HTML | PDF)
- Last Modified: